Pigeon Island is the symbol of Kusadasi as “ Kus Adasi” means bird island and refers to the Pigeon Island that stands on the south end of the town.
The inner castle was built by Barbaros Hayrettin Pasha and the walls were built by Ilyas Aga in 1826. The castle was used for protecting the mouth of the harbor.
Today the Pigeon Island is connected to the mainland by a walkway. This walkway today is the hub for some of the daily boat trips.
On one side of the Pigeon Island, there is a public beach and café/ restaurant that are run by the municipality. Inside the historical walls, the inner castle is used as a small sea museum.
A concert and event area inside the walls is hosting concerts during summer season.