Aphrodisias, the capital of Caria, is one of the most significant sites discovered by modern archaeologists. The excavations, initiated in 1904 and continued ever since, have unearthed superbly preserved monuments and artifacts: a theatre, an odeon and a most beautiful stadium in antiquity. The museum is rich with sculptures, created by members of the celebrated school of Aphrodisias who worked with th elocal marble, the best in Anatolia. The stadium, where athletic games were help, is 262 metres (786 feet) long and 59 metres (177 feet) wide and can seat 30,000 people.
Leading to the stadium, one can see the ruins of a building thought to be school of philosophy. Aphrodisias was indeed an intellectual and cultural center, attracting people who came to study philosophy, astronomy and medicine.
- +90 554 386 4144
TRANSIT / SUBWAY
- Grand Avenue Station ( Red Line )600 mt
- Merchandise Mart Station ( Brown, Purples Line )750 mt
- Clark / Lake Station760 mt
- State / Lake Station820 mt
- Lake Station900 mt
- New York International Airport11.6 mi
- New York Domestic Airport17.5 mi